Top Ten Myths about the Uninsured
1. The uninsured are all alike
2. There were 44 million uninsured Americans in 2002.
3. Coverage is coverage is coverage.
4. Individuals without health insurance choose to be so.
5. U.S. employers pay $400 billion for workers' health care.
6. Workers used to be reluctant to switch jobs; HIPAA fixed that.
7. Health insurance would surely improve the health status of the uninsured.
8. Universal coverage would eliminate health disparities.
9. A worker's decision to remain uninsured has no effect on anyone else.
10. Economists don't really know why people are uninsured.